Electrolytes the Ultimate Running Supplement
Summer months can be harsh for all of us and that’s when electrolyte powders come into play. Hold that thought and think about the athletes who spend hours practicing for a tournament! They lose a lot of water during their practice. That’s precisely why it is essential to replenish the lost electrolytes.
Here’s an article that sheds light on these powders and their benefits in enhancing athlete performance. Let’s get started!
What are electrolytes?
They can be found in our bodies. They are substances utilized for different processes such as nervous system impulses, muscle contractions, and regulating the pH level and hydration.
These electrical particles carry a negative or a positive charge. They travel through the bloodstream and get excreted through urine and sweat. The most common electrical particles found are magnesium, sodium, calcium, potassium, phosphate, bicarbonate, and chloride.
Why do human beings need electrolytes?
Sodium, magnesium, potassium, and calcium can be found in the most common foods, electrolyte supplements, and multivitamins. An athlete requires these in case they are engaging in high-intensity workouts.
Sodium can assist cellular hydration as well as the nervous system. It balances the fluid in our cells through a process called, ‘osmosis water.’ Dehydration can cause cellular rupture due to shriveling cells and hyperhydration. This is why athlete’s needs electrolytes to keep them hydrated all the time.
Many people suffer from water loss during an illness. The doctor suggests buying electrolyte powders because dehydration can cause a range of health problems.
Benefits of Using Electrolyte Powders
So, you will find many electrolyte powders on the market. These rehydration drinks are beneficial for athletes. Speaking of benefits, we have gathered some of the benefits right below:
- Athletes get constant hydration. You can drink this sports drink during, after, or before a workout.
- The imbalance of electrolytes can lead to decreased concentration, slow reaction time, and a decrease in cognitive abilities. When you consume a rehydration drink, your focus will improve and you will recharge within minutes.
- They help in muscle contractions. Both calcium and magnesium play an essential role in muscle contractions. Athletes need electrolyte powders to avoid cramps and muscle weakness. They need to be strong and should be able to perform all high-intensity tasks with full precision.
- They will keep the body hydrated. Hydration is necessary for an athlete, especially because they spend countless hours under bright sunshine and lose a lot of water during intensive workouts.
- Athletes suffer from heatstroke because they spend many hours under sunshine. Sometimes they don’t even get a break during a tournament or a hardcore practice session. With electrolytes in your system, you can prevent a heatstroke.
If you are an athlete, you must consider purchasing electrolyte powders to replenish and hydrate.
When you are hydrated with electrolyte powders, your overall sports performance will improve. So, don’t shy away from consuming a rehydration drink filled with simple sugars and sodium.